What is a 4 day work week job?
A 4 day work week job is where one works reduced hours. This usually means that, instead of 40 hours over 5 days, companies enable
employees to work 32 hours over 4 days.
In some countries, companies have already started testing out 28 hours over 4 days.
What are the benefits of a 4 day work week job?
There are several benefits for a 4 day work week including:
- Employees who transition to working 4 days a week instead of 5 know that it is especially important for them to be focused. If they aren’t focused, they still need to get their work done and they may end up working that fifth day.
- Employees who work a 4 day work week have 3 days a week to play, spend time with friends and family, engage in group sports, take care of household activities like shopping, cooking, and cleaning, and anything else they want to do
- Employees who work the 4 day work week enjoy the benefits of a higher quality of life and better mental and physical health. As a result, they are less likely to look for another job.
- For employers, this can result in reduced office costs as employees work less in office
- 4 day work week remote jobs can provide a much higher work life balance for employees
Will there be a salary cut for a 4 day work week job?
Typically, companies offer 80% salary for a 4 day work week.
In some companies which completely promote 4 day work weeks, they offer 100% of the salary - therefore, no salary reduction.
Are there any countries that have tried a 4 day work week?
From Wikipedia, here is a short list of major trial results for a four-day work week.
- United Kingdom
Who can work part time in Germany?
If you have worked for more than 6 months in your job, you can request a reduction in working hours. If you work less than 30 hours a week, you are considered as a part time employee.