When you post jobs on job boards, it usually requires you to include a Job Application URL where candidates can apply. It is a good idea to include a tracking link for your job posting.
A tracking link allows candidates to apply for your job posting. Most importantly, when you use a tracking link, you can identify which job board or job platform your candidate applied from. This helps companies identify which job boards are suited for their open job positions.
Most Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) provides a way for you to analyse how each tracking link performs - how each job board or job platform performs - for your job posting. Knowing where to post your job advertisements is good - knowing which job platform works for which job role is key to getting the best out of your paid job postings.
In some Applicant Tracking Systems, Tracking Link is also known as Candidate Sources or Candidate Referrer.
Tracking Link Examples
A tracking link is a unique job post URL that takes the candidates to your job application page or your careers website. The only part that stands out is at the end of the job post URL is the tracking identifier or source.
For example, one of the most common ways of Tracking Links is with UTM Parameters.
UTM parameters in a URL identify the marketing campaign that refers traffic to a specific website
When companies post a job posting on Arbeitnow, we recommend using a tracking link. If your job application URL is
https://www.example.com/page, we recommend appending a tracking source like this, using a Campaign URL builder.
Tracking Link vs Email for Jobs
If you don't have an Applicant Tracking System, the alternative is to provide an Email address for receiving job applicants. With an Email address, it's easy to not know where the candidates came from.
Job boards (including Arbeitnow) try to include identifiable information in the Email Subject. But candidates can easily remove this text from the email, making it difficult to identify the source of the candidate. This is an important reason why a tracking link is recommended over email addresses for receiving job applications.
How to create a tracking link for job boards
Each Applicant Tracking System has a different way of creating a tracking or a candidate sourcing link. I have tried to consolidate the information here together relevant for Arbeitnow, based on their support pages and communication with them. I have included only the easier way, please do refer to the support pages for more options (if available).
- Job Tracking Link for Recruitee
- Job Tracking Link for Greenhouse
- Job Tracking Link for Personio
- Job Tracking Link for Comeet
- Job Tracking Link for SmartRecruiters
- Job Tracking Link for Lever
- Job Tracking Link for Teamtailor
- Job Tracking Link for Workable
Job Tracking Link for Recruitee
Click Jobs on the left menu > Go to the job where you want to track candidates.
Click Share in the top right corner > Under Job's link, click Copy.
Paste the job's link into a text editor. For example, you will get "company.recruitee.com/o/job"
Add "?source=sourcename" at the end of the job's link to create a tracking link for this job. You will need a job tracking link for each source you want to track.
For example, if you want to track candidates coming from Arbeitnow, your job tracking link would be: "company.recruitee.com/o/job?source=Arbeitnow"
- You can add spaces to the job's link (company.recruitee.com/o/job?source=Arbeitnow job board) and use capital letters (company.recruitee.com/o/job?source=ArbeitnowJobBoard).
- Be consistent with naming your source in each job's link. Because the source tags are case sensitive, "arbeitnow" and "Arbeitnow" will be counted as two separate tags. You will need to manually merge them later. Read more: Manage tags and Source tags.
Share the job's tracking link on a corresponding website.
For example, add the link "company.recruitee.com/o/job?source=Arbeitnow" to your job description on Arbeitnow and ask candidates to click it to apply.
If a candidate goes to your job's page and completes their application via the job's tracking link, their candidate profile will have the source tracked as a source tag.
Job Tracking Link for Greenhouse
- Find the job on the All Jobs page. Click Job Posts on the Job Setup tab.
Note: You can also find this button in the box at the bottom of the Job Dashboard.
- Click the Tracking Link icon under the specific post you want to track.
- Choose Who gets credit and Select a source. Then, click Create link.
If you don't see Arbeitnow, you might have to create a Source
- Copy the link and paste it on any job boards or resources you want to track.
Job Tracking Link for Personio
Support Article: https://support.personio.de/hc/en-us/articles/360000247878
If you advertise a position on a job board outside Personio, you need first to add the relevant channel for the position in Settings > Recruiting > Channels.
To create new tracking links, follow these steps:
- Go to Recruiting > Positions, click on View position details of the position you wish to add tracking links and go to the Promotion tab.
- In the Tracking links section, you'll find an overview of all previously created links for the position, and you can add tracking links for additional channels.
- To add a tracking link, click on the + icon, select the channel and click on Create to create the link.
- Click on the link icon to copy the automatically generated tracking link.
- Next, store the link manually on the relevant job board to allow candidates to access your application form and apply directly by clicking on the link.
Job Tracking Link for Comeet
You can track the traffic of candidates from a campaign, an article, an ad or a post by using a trackable link:
Create a new source (from Position > Sources > New source) or edit an existing source.
In the source window, pick a position (or the careers website) and click on Get trackable link to copy a trackable link to the clipboard.
Paste this link in your article or ad. Candidates who click the link will be associated with that source, independently of the referring website.
Comeet also tracks UTM parameters, which don't affect source attribution.
Job Tracking Link for SmartRecruiters
To create a tracking URL for a job ad:
- Find the job in SmartRecruiters and click the Job Ad tab.
- Click somewhere in the box for the appropriate job ad. (Don't click Edit job.)
- Click + in the Custom Candidate Sources box.
- Use the Source picker to choose the source Type and name (and sub-type, if necessary).
- Click Create URL to generate the URL.
- Voila! Simply copy this URL to share it.
- Repeat the process as necessary to create additional Source URLs.
Job Tracking Link for Lever
Go to your job postings page.
Find the job posting for which you need to create a custom tracking URL.
On the posting tab, click "+ Add a job board."
Select a job board from the dropdown menu. If you don't see the one you're looking for, simply type the name of it in the text box.
Select either "University" or "Applied" as the Origin.
Click on the "Copy" button next to the custom URL. Any candidate who submits an application through this tracking link will automatically have the job board you specified as the Source Tag, and will also have the Origin that you selected.
Job Tracking Link for Teamtailor
To create the link, go to the tab Promote for the job in question and find Create a trackable share link.
Here, you will be asked to name the link. This name will be added to the end of the link, and is what separates this link from other trackable share links in your account.
So for example, giving it the name arbeitnow results in a link that looks something like this: careers.companyname.com/jobs/252141-marketing-assistant?promotion=100249-trackable-share-link-arbeitnow
To retrieve your unique link, simply click View purchase history and then Copy it. You're now ready to roll!
Job Tracking Link for Workable
When you use a UTM link and a candidate clicks on it, the "source" of that UTM link will be tracked in Workable's Candidate Sources report. While Workable tracks most candidate sources automatically wherever you share a standard link to the job, a UTM enables you to track sources with your own specifications. UTM links are often utilized for custom advertising campaigns (like emails, paid online ads, forum posts, Slack) that are not directly integrated with Workable.
From my understanding, Workable will automatically track the source of the candidate.